Member Briefing: October 1, 2021
- October 1, 2021
- Posted by: Joe Milazzo II
- Category: Member briefing
Here is a brief weekly update from the RTA business coalition – the voice of the regional business community on transportation.
Building our metropolitan rapid transit system
One of RTA’s top priorities is to accelerate the development of a metropolitan rapid transit system for our growing region.
The regional business community recognizes that an increasingly effective, equitable, and indeed exceptional rapid transit system will be transformational — for our metropolitan region, and for our region’s people. It will provide improved mobility, accessibility, and opportunity, and as a result improve the economic mobility, success, and sustainability of our community.
RTA believes that our metropolitan rapid transit system will have 7 broad, complementary elements:
- Regional commuter rail spine.
- Regionwide bus rapid transit network.
- Multimodal linkages, including bikeways, “complete streets”, and local area solutions.
- Zero fare transit policy, to promote equity, ridership, and system efficiency.
- Equitable land use policies that encourage proximity and economic mobility.
- Sustainable energy practices for reliability, environmental, and public health goals.
- Operations-focused and innovation-ready mindset for transit planning, design, and implementation.
You can view the metropolitan rapid transit system working page for additional background on the various elements of the above investments, policies, practices, and mindset.
In addition, we expect to open registration in early October for our winter 2022 Leadership Briefing and Tour to South Florida. Developing our metropolitan rapid transit system — and accelerating metropolitan mobility — will be the broad themes of the tour, and you will not want to miss it. RTA members can pre-register now by emailing RSVP@letsgetmoving.org.
Let’s get moving,
Joe Milazzo II, PE
RTA Executive Director
Click here for prior RTA Member Briefings and RTA Blogs.