The I-40 Regional Partnership is a cooperative initiative of the Regional Transportation Alliance (RTA) business coalition in concert with NCDOT and other partners.
Interstate 40, the “Triangle’s Main Street”, is a critical limited-access roadway that connects Orange, Durham, Wake and Johnston counties with the rest of North Carolina and the nation.
The I-40 Regional Partnership provides an ongoing focus on Interstate 40 in order to maintain and enhance its viability for travel and commerce, and to improve the travel experience on I-40 and core reliever/alternate routes.
Meredith McDiarmid, PE, NCDOT State ITS and Signals Engineer, serves as the I-40 Regional Partnership executive. The Partnership held its first meeting in spring 2009 and has met at least annually since that time.
Next I-40 Regional Partnership meeting to be held October 2020.
2019 Event: 11th Annual Meeting of the I-40 Partnership
Hosted by SAS on Oct. 17, 2019
Welcome and overview
- Welcome and introductions – Joe Milazzo II, RTA
- Acknowledgements – Geoff Lang, RTA 2019 Chair
- I-40 Partnership overview – Meredith McDiarmid, NCDOT Mobility and Safety
Active projects on I-40 and parallel/reliever routes – Boyd Tharrington, NCDOT Division 5
- I-40 widening to Johnston Co.
- I-40 Beautify Fortify initiative
- I-440 widening and improvements
- I-885 construction update
- I-40 / NC 54 Cary-Raleigh intg.
- I-40 / Aviation Parkway intg.
Upcoming / Future projects
- I-40 / Airport Blvd. improvements – Joey Hopkins, NCDOT Div. 5
- US 70 conversion to freeway – Joey Hopkins
- US 1 north conversion to freeway – Joey Hopkins
- I-40 widening in Orange Co. – Laura Sutton and Gene Tarascio, NCDOT Div. 7
- I-540 on-ramp signals – Jennifer Portanova, NCDOT Mobility and Safety
RTA-NCDOT Innovations and Solutions segment
- I-40 managed freeway – David Keilson, NCDOT Div. 5; CAMPO, WSP
- I-40, I-540 Bus On Shoulder System (BOSS) – Pat Stephens, GoTriangle
- I-40, I-540 shoulder managed lanes – Chris Werner, NCDOT
Freeway research and learning
- I-40 crashes and safety pilot analysis – Drew Draper, Wetherill Engineering
- FREEVAL-NC advanced freeway model – Behzad Aghdashi, ITRE; Mike Reese, NCDOT
Discussion and final remarks