The I-40 Regional Partnership is a cooperative initiative of the Regional Transportation Alliance (RTA) business coalition in concert with NCDOT and other partners.
The 2020 annual meeting of the I-40 Regional Partnership meeting was held virtually on August 11, 2020 — see below for the presentation and recording.
Interstate 40, the “Triangle’s Main Street”, is a critical limited-access roadway that connects Orange, Durham, Wake and Johnston counties with the rest of North Carolina and the nation.
The I-40 Regional Partnership provides an ongoing focus on Interstate 40 in order to maintain and enhance its viability for travel and commerce, and to improve the travel experience on I-40 and core reliever/alternate routes.
Meredith McDiarmid, PE, NCDOT State Transportation Systems Management and Operations Engineer, serves as the I-40 Regional Partnership executive. The Partnership held its first meeting in spring 2009 and has met at least annually since that time.
Most recent meeting: 12th Annual Meeting of the I-40 Partnership
Tuesday, August 11, 2020 — 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Welcome and overview
- Welcome and introductions – Joe Milazzo II, RTA; Pete Marino, RTA freeways chair; Denny Edwards, RTA tourism and business travel chair
- I-40 Partnership overview – Meredith McDiarmid, NCDOT Mobility and Safety
Active projects on I-40 and parallel/reliever routes – Joey Hopkins, NCDOT Division 5
- I-40 widening to Johnston Co.
- I-40 / Aviation Parkway interchange area
- I-40 / Airport Boulevard interchange area
- I-885 / Connector
- I-440 modernization
- I-40 / Beautify Fortify at interchanges
- 540 / Turnpike southeast extension to I-40 — with J.J. Eden, NC Turnpike Authority
General updates on traffic and funding
- Coronavirus and recovery: traffic impacts — Jennifer Portanova, NCDOT Mobility and Safety
- Overall status of state funding – capital, operations, maintenance — Joey Hopkins
Status of ongoing, upcoming, or potential projects and initiatives
- US 70 – conversion to freeway from I-885 to I-540 — Richard Hancock, NCDOT
- US 1 – conversion to freeway north of I-54– Richard Hancock
- US 64 west – addition of interchanges and conversion to superstreet — Richard Hancock
- I-40 widening in Orange Co. — Laura Sutton, NCDOT
- I-40 managed freeway – on-ramp signal expansion — Derrick Lewis, NCDOT
- I-40 express lanes — Andrew Bell, HNTB
- Bus On Shoulder System (BOSS): I-540 expansion/Willie Noble, GoTriangle; regional study/Alex Rickard, CAMPO
- Freeway And Street-based Transit (FAST) study — Joe Milazzo II, Regional Transportation Alliance
Other items / final remarks
Past meetings of the I-40 Regional Partnership
- Aug. 11, 2020 – (meeting held virtually due to pandemic)
- Oct. 17, 2019 – SAS, Cary
- Oct. 18, 2018 – Research Triangle Park Headquarters, RTP
- Oct. 25, 2017 – Research Triangle Park Headquarters, RTP
- Oct. 24, 2016 – Research Triangle Park Headquarters, RTP
- June 18, 2015 – Joint Force Headquarters (JFHQ), Raleigh
- June 12, 2014 – Joint Force Headquarters (JFHQ), Raleigh
- June 4, 2013 – Joint Force Headquarters (JFHQ), Raleigh
- Dec. 20, 2012 – Research Triangle Park Headquarters, RTP
- June 28, 2012 – Research Triangle Park Headquarters, RTP
- Dec 6, 2011 – Fidelity Investments, Cary
- Sep. 13, 2011 – Cisco Systems, Research Triangle Park
- April 26, 2011 – NetApp, Research Triangle Park
- Dec. 7, 2010 – Research Triangle Park Headquarters, RTP
- Sep. 24, 2010 – Fidelity Investments, Durham
- June 15, 2010 – NetApp, Research Triangle Park
- June 16, 2009 – Research Triangle Park Headquarters, RTP