The I-40 Regional Partnership is a cooperative initiative of the Regional Transportation Alliance (RTA) business coalition in concert with NCDOT and other partners.
The I-40 Regional Partnership provides an ongoing focus on Interstate 40 in order to maintain and enhance its viability for travel and commerce, and to improve the travel experience on I-40 and core reliever/alternate routes.
Meredith McDiarmid, PE, NCDOT State ITS and Signals Engineer, serves as the I-40 Regional Partnership executive. The Partnership held its first meeting in spring 2009 and has met at least annually since that time. You can download a one page overview of the I-40 Partnership here.
Upcoming Task Force Meeting:
Let’s Make I-40 Better Action Team – Friday, March 29, 2019
Upcoming Annual Meeting:
I-40 Regional Partnership – 10th annual meeting
2018 Annual Meeting of the I-40 Regional Partnership
Hosted by the Research Triangle Foundation
Thursday, October 17, 2019
1:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Research Triangle Park Headquarters
Draft agenda concept
Welcome and overview (15 min)
- Welcome and introductions – Joe Milazzo II, RTA
- Acknowledgements – Geoff Lang, RTA 2019 Chair
- I-40 Partnership overview – Meredith McDiarmid, I-40 Partnership Executive, NCDOT Mobility and Safety
I-40 projects (30 min)
- I-40 Beautify Fortify initiative – NCDOT Division 5
- I-40 widening to Johnston Co. – NCDOT Divisions 5 and 4
- I-40 interchange improvements near RDU – NCDOT Division 5
- I-40 managed freeway / “managed motorway” – NCDOT Division 5
- I-40 widening in Orange Co. – NCDOT Division 7
Parallel/reliever route updates (30 min)
- I-885 construction update – NCDOT Division 5
- US 70 conversion to freeway between I-885 and I-540 – NCDOT Division 5
- I-440 widening and improvements – NCDOT Division 5
- I-540 shoulder managed lanes – NCDOT Division 5
- I-540 on-ramp signals – NCDOT Mobility and Safety
Regional ITS and toll initiatives (15 min) – CAMPO
- Triangle ITS Study
- Triangle Toll Study
Make I-40 Better action team – update on progress
Final remarks and adjourn
Click here for prior I-40 Partnership meeting summaries
- Download a one-page overview of the I-40 Partnership.
- Learn more about I-40 Regional Partnership Action Teams here.
- Download 2-pagers on Synchronized Streets and Dual Left Flashing Yellow Arrow (FYA).
- Learn about the Research Triangle region’s Bus on Shoulder System (BOSS) — the pilot was coordinated by the I-40 Regional Partnership.
Partial list of I-40 initiative partners and participants
- North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT)
- Regional Transportation Alliance (RTA)
- NC Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (NC CAMPO)
- Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC MPO)
- Cities and Towns along the I-40 corridor
- NC State University
- North Carolina Turnpike Authority
- North Carolina State Ports Authority
- North Carolina Railroad Company
- North Carolina State Highway Patrol
- The Research Triangle Park (RTP)
- Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority (RDU)
- Triangle-J Council of Governments
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
The I-40 Regional Partnership meeting is hosted by: