The I-40 Regional Partnership is a cooperative initiative of the NC Department of Transportation (NCDOT) and the Regional Transportation Alliance (RTA) business coalition, working in concert with other partners.
The I-40 Regional Partnership provides an ongoing focus on Interstate 40 in order to maintain and enhance its viability for travel and commerce, and to improve the travel experience on I-40 and core reliever/alternate routes.
Meredith McDiarmid, PE, NCDOT State ITS and Signals Engineer, serves as the I-40 Regional Partnership executive. The Partnership held its first meeting in spring 2009 and has met at least annually since that time.
I-40 Regional Partnership
2017 Annual Meeting
Wednesday, October 25, 2017
1:30 pm – 3:30 pm
Research Triangle Park Headquarters
Welcome and Overview – 15 min
- Introductions – Meredith McDiarmid, NCDOT Mobility and Safety; Joe Milazzo II, RTA
- Acknowledgements – Pete Marino, RTA Freeways chair
- I-40 Regional Partnership Overview – Meredith McDiarmid
Primary Reports – Projects Underway or Complete – 25-30 min
- I-40 / Fortify – construction status, lessons learned – Boyd Tharrington, NCDOT Div. 5 (5-7 min)
- I-540 / On-Ramp Signals – activation, initial feedback – Boyd Tharrington (5-7 min)
- I-885 / East End Connector – Boyd Tharrington (2-3 min)
- I-87 / I-540 interchange improvement – Boyd Tharrington (2-3 min)
- I-87 signage update – Joey Hopkins, NCDOT Div. 5 (2-3 min)
- Regional Bus On Shoulder System (BOSS) update – John Tallmadge, GoTriangle (2-3 min)
- Signal system timing philosophy manual – Jennifer Portonova, NCDOT Mobility and Safety (3-5 min)
Primary Reports – Upcoming Projects – 25-30 min
- I-40 mainline widening, including improvements to Aviation, Airport, NC 42 interchanges – Joey Hopkins (5-7 min)
- I-440 widening – Joey Hopkins (3-5 min)
- US 70 core conversion to freeway between I-540 and future I-885 – Joey Hopkins (2-3 min)
- Express shoulder managed lanes, Chris Lukasina (2-3 min)
- Triangle Toll Study – Chris Lukasina, CAMPO (5-7 min)
Interactive discussion – 15 min
- Regional travel experience, including regional travel time signage – Meredith McDiarmid
Technical focus – 30 min
- Alternative interchange designs – Joe Hummer, NCDOT Mobility and Safety
Potential agenda items
- Multimodal 54 – Joe Milazzo, RTA, Patrick McDonough, GoTriangle
- Alternate intersection concepts
Click here for prior I-40 Partnership meeting summaries
Click here for the presentation deck from the 2016 meeting: Download the 2016 annual meeting presentation here.
- View the I-40 Partnership Action Plan.
- Learn more about I-40 Regional Partnership Action Teams here.
- Download 2-pagers on Synchronized Streets and Dual Left Flashing Yellow Arrow (FYA).
- Learn about the Research Triangle region’s Bus on Shoulder System (BOSS) — the pilot was coordinated by the I-40 Regional Partnership.
Partial list of I-40 initiative partners and participants
- North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT)
- Regional Transportation Alliance (RTA)
- NC Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (NC CAMPO)
- Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC MPO)
- Cities and Towns along the I-40 corridor
- NC State University
- North Carolina Turnpike Authority
- North Carolina State Ports Authority
- North Carolina Railroad Company
- North Carolina State Highway Patrol
- The Research Triangle Park (RTP)
- Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority (RDU)
- Triangle-J Council of Governments
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)