The I-40 Regional Partnership is a cooperative initiative of the NC Department of Transportation (NCDOT) and the Regional Transportation Alliance (RTA) business coalition, working in concert with other partners.
The I-40 Regional Partnership provides an ongoing focus on Interstate 40 in order to maintain and enhance its viability for travel and commerce, and to improve the travel experience on I-40 and core reliever/alternate routes.
Meredith McDiarmid, PE, NCDOT State ITS and Signals Engineer, serves as the I-40 Regional Partnership executive. The Partnership held its first meeting in spring 2009 and has met at least annually since that time. You can download a one page overview of the I-40 Partnership here.
I-40 Regional Partnership – 10th annual meeting
2018 Annual Meeting of the I-40 Regional Partnership
Hosted by the Research Triangle Foundation
Thursday, October 18, 2018
1:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Research Triangle Park Headquarters
Draft working agenda
Welcome, intros, partnership overview (15 min) – Joe Milazzo II, RTA, and Meredith McDiarmid, NCDOT Mobility and Safety
I-40 projects (30 min)
- I-40 Fortify – lessons learned – Boyd Tharrington, NCDOT Div. 5
- I-40 Beautify Fortify initiative – Boyd Tharrington and Joe Milazzo II
- I-40 to Johnston Co. widening and interchange improvements – Joey Hopkins, NCDOT Div. 5
- I-40 interchange improvements near RDU – Boyd Tharrington and Joey Hopkins
Parallel/reliever route updates (30 min)
- I-885 construction update – Boyd Tharrington
- US 70 conversion to freeway between I-885 and I-540 – Joey Hopkins
- I-440 widening and improvements – Joey Hopkins
- I-540 on-ramp signals – Jennifer Portanova, NCDOT Mobility and Safety
- I-540 shoulder managed express lanes – Joey Hopkins
Regional ITS and toll initiatives (15 min) – Chris Lukasina, CAMPO
- Managed roadways on area freeways
- Triangle Toll Study
Group discussion and activity: Fix I-40
- Level set – Chris Lukasina (15 min)
- Table-top conversations (30 min)
- Whole group discussion (15 min)
Final remarks and adjourn
Click here for prior I-40 Partnership meeting summaries
- View the I-40 Partnership Action Plan.
- Learn more about I-40 Regional Partnership Action Teams here.
- Download 2-pagers on Synchronized Streets and Dual Left Flashing Yellow Arrow (FYA).
- Learn about the Research Triangle region’s Bus on Shoulder System (BOSS) — the pilot was coordinated by the I-40 Regional Partnership.
Partial list of I-40 initiative partners and participants
- North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT)
- Regional Transportation Alliance (RTA)
- NC Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (NC CAMPO)
- Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC MPO)
- Cities and Towns along the I-40 corridor
- NC State University
- North Carolina Turnpike Authority
- North Carolina State Ports Authority
- North Carolina Railroad Company
- North Carolina State Highway Patrol
- The Research Triangle Park (RTP)
- Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority (RDU)
- Triangle-J Council of Governments
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
The I-40 Regional Partnership meeting is hosted by: