The I-40 Regional Partnership is a cooperative initiative of the NC Department of Transportation (NCDOT) and the Regional Transportation Alliance (RTA) business coalition, working in concert with other partners.
The I-40 Regional Partnership provides an ongoing focus on Interstate 40 in order to maintain and enhance its viability for travel and commerce, and to improve the travel experience on I-40 and core reliever/alternate routes.
Meredith McDiarmid, PE, NCDOT State ITS and Signals Engineer, serves as the I-40 Regional Partnership executive. The Partnership held its first meeting in spring 2009 and has met at least annually since that time. You can download a one page overview of the I-40 Partnership here.
I-40 Regional Partnership – 10th annual meeting
2018 Annual Meeting of the I-40 Regional Partnership
Hosted by the Research Triangle Foundation
Thursday, October 18, 2018
1:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Research Triangle Park Headquarters
Tentative Meeting Agenda Concept
Welcome and Overview – 10-15 min
- Introductions – Meredith McDiarmid, NCDOT Mobility and Safety; Joe Milazzo II, RTA
- Acknowledgements – Pete Marino, RTA Freeways chair; Jule Smith, RTA Freeways vice chair
- I-40 Regional Partnership Overview – Meredith McDiarmid
Primary Reports – Projects Underway or Complete – 20-30 min
- I-40 / Fortify – lessons learned – Boyd Tharrington, NCDOT Div. 5 (5 min)
- I-540 / On-Ramp Signals – one year summary – Boyd Tharrington (5 min)
- I-885 / East End Connector – construction update – Boyd Tharrington (5 min)
- I-40 / Wake-Johnston expansion, NC 42 improvements – Boyd Tharrington (5 min)
- I-40 / Aviation, Airport, interchange improvements – Joey Hopkins (5-7 min)
Primary Reports – Upcoming Projects – 25-30 min
- I-440 widening – Joey Hopkins (5 min)
- US 70 core conversion to freeway between I-540 and future I-885 – Joey Hopkins (5 min)
- I-540 Express shoulder managed lanes, Chris Lukasina (5 min)
- Triangle Toll Study – Chris Lukasina, CAMPO (5 min)
- I-87 / Future I-87 – Joey Hopkins, NCDOT Div. 5 (3 min)
Intersection and interchange innovations – presentations and discussion – 20-30 min
- Variable number of left turn lanes
- NC 54 / Adaptive signals –
- Alternative interchange designs
Next steps / new business – 5 min
Potential future agenda items
- Regional Travel Experience
- Bus on Shoulder System (BOSS) update
Click here for prior I-40 Partnership meeting summaries
Click here for the presentation deck from the 2016 meeting: Download the 2017 I-40 Partnership annual meeting presentation here.
- View the I-40 Partnership Action Plan.
- Learn more about I-40 Regional Partnership Action Teams here.
- Download 2-pagers on Synchronized Streets and Dual Left Flashing Yellow Arrow (FYA).
- Learn about the Research Triangle region’s Bus on Shoulder System (BOSS) — the pilot was coordinated by the I-40 Regional Partnership.
Partial list of I-40 initiative partners and participants
- North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT)
- Regional Transportation Alliance (RTA)
- NC Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (NC CAMPO)
- Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC MPO)
- Cities and Towns along the I-40 corridor
- NC State University
- North Carolina Turnpike Authority
- North Carolina State Ports Authority
- North Carolina Railroad Company
- North Carolina State Highway Patrol
- The Research Triangle Park (RTP)
- Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority (RDU)
- Triangle-J Council of Governments
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
The I-40 Regional Partnership meeting is hosted by: