The I-40 Regional Partnership is a cooperative initiative of the NC Department of Transportation (NCDOT), the Regional Transportation Alliance (RTA) business coalition, and other local, regional, statewide, and federal partners. The Partnership provides an ongoing focus on Interstate 40 in order to maintain and enhance its viability for travel and commerce.
The I-40 Regional Partnership initiative is designed to help participants discover, share, and examine the current status of Interstate 40 in the Triangle in order to identify both short- and long-term opportunities for improvements to I-40 in the Triangle region along with its interchanges, connecting freeways, and primary reliever routes.
Meredith McDiarmid, PE, NCDOT State Systems Operations Engineer, serves as the I-40 Regional Partnership executive. The Partnership held its first meeting in spring 2009 and has met at least annually since that time.
I-40 Regional Partnership
2016 Annual Meeting
Monday, October 24, 2016
2 pm – 4 pm
Research Triangle Park Headquarters
Welcome and Overview
- Introductions – Meredith McDiarmid, NCDOT
- I-40 Regional Partnership Action Plan – Meredith McDiarmid
- I-40 / Fortify – construction status, lessons learned to date – Joey Hopkins, NCDOT
- 540 / On-Ramp Signals – construction, activation, and public outreach schedule – Jamille Robinson, NCDOT
- Regional toll study, including 540 / express shoulder managed lanes pilot – Kenneth Withrow, Capital Area MPO
- Regional freight study – Kenneth Withrow, Capital Area MPO
- Designing for progression: Joe Hummer, NCDOT
- I–40 mainline, interchange, and reliever route improvements
- I-40 mainline widening – Joey Hopkins
- I-40 / Aviation Parkway interchange – Joey Hopkins
- I-40 / I-440 / US 1-64 interchange – Joey Hopkins
- US 70 Freeway Conversion – between I-540 and future I-885 – Joey Hopkins
- I-885 / East End Connector – Joey Hopkins
- McCrimmon Parkway extension – Ben Howell, Town of Morrisville
- Interchange/intersection operational updates
- I-40 / NC 751 interchange – Kelly Becker, NCDOT
- Multimodal 54 – Patrick McDonough, GoTriangle and Joe Milazzo II, RTA
- Regional Bus On Shoulder System (BOSS) – John Tallmadge, GoTriangle
- Misc items
- I-87 and I-42 designations
- Speed limits – Kelly Becker
Possible future task force
- Applying I-40 / Fortify partnerships and procedures to enhance regional freeway safety and operational effectiveness during daily peak/congested periods
Click here for prior I-40 Partnership meeting summaries
- View the I-40 Partnership Action Plan.
- Learn more about I-40 Regional Partnership Action Teams here.
- Download 2-pagers on Synchronized Streets and Dual Left Flashing Yellow Arrow (FYA).
- Learn about the Research Triangle region’s Bus on Shoulder System (BOSS) — the pilot was coordinated by the I-40 Regional Partnership.
Partial list of I-40 initiative partners and participants
- North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT)
- Regional Transportation Alliance (RTA)
- NC Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (NC CAMPO)
- Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC MPO)
- Cities and Towns along the I-40 corridor
- NC State University
- North Carolina Turnpike Authority
- North Carolina State Ports Authority
- North Carolina Railroad Company
- North Carolina State Highway Patrol
- The Research Triangle Park (RTP)
- Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority (RDU)
- Triangle-J Council of Governments
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)