Over the past 12 years, RTA has successfully advocated for the construction, enhancement, and advancement of more than 250 miles of freeway worth over $3.3 billion—including relief of the region’s most severe bottleneck and the construction of the largest freeway project in state history.
RTA has successfully pushed more than 80 miles of freeway speed limit increases, 60 shoulder miles of bus on shoulder, and more than 20 miles of bus rapid transit, along with the approval of two countywide transit referenda and a new transatlantic flight.
Top accomplishments of the RTA business coalition since 2002
- Accelerated the construction of the 15 mile, $1 billion Triangle Expressway freeway
- Saved the extension of the 30 mile, $2 billion Triangle Expressway southeast extension
- Garnered regional support for the new I-885 linkage to Research Triangle Park
- Relieved the region’s top bottleneck via widening of I-40 between Cary and Raleigh
- Pushed for increased speed limits on more than 80 miles of regional freeways
- Initiated and directed a successful regional campaign to advance new Interstate 495
- Led the successful two-state campaign for future I-87 to coastal Virginia
- Advanced the conversion of US 70 to a freeway between Durham and Raleigh
- Elevated bus rapid transit as viable basis of approved transit plan for Wake County
- Coordinated the creation of North Carolina’s first “Bus on Shoulder System (BOSS)”
- Supported effective transit referenda in both Durham and Orange counties
- Launched Air Service Advancement Project (ASAP) private sector marketing initiative to help attract new non-stop Paris flight to Raleigh-Durham International Airport