The regional business community has a demonstrated ability to advance transportation priorities that support our growing market through the strong, organized voice of the Regional Transportation Alliance business coalition working in concert with our elected and transportation partners.
See below for selected top accomplishments of the organization, followed by a summary of our results “by the numbers” over our 15+ year history.
RTA Top Accomplishments
- Led regional lobbying effort and campaign to build the 540 / Triangle Expressway turnpike
- Convened local partners and hired national firm to save the 540 southeast extension
- Proposed means to relieve region’s top bottleneck via widening of I-40 in Cary/Raleigh
- Garnered regional support for Triangle Connector to I-85, the future I-885 from RTP to Durham
- Successfully pushed for a bus rapid transit-based approach for approved Wake Transit plan
- Led media and communications strategy for successful Wake County transit referendum
- Launched private-sector marketing initiative for new RDU – Paris nonstop flight
- Secured bi-state support and lobbied for federal approval of I-87 from Raleigh to coastal Va.
- Advocated for local option legislation enabling approved transit referenda in 3 counties
- Successfully highlighted business case for new state fund to accelerate low-cost projects
- Coordinated the creation of North Carolina’s first Bus on Shoulder System (BOSS)
- Conceived, highlighted, and advanced an express shoulder lane pilot project for I-540
- Successfully pushed for several increased speed limits on I-40, I-540, US 1, 15-501, Wade Ave.
- Requested and secured funding for enhanced I-40 interchanges and new US 70 interchanges
Results by the numbers
- 250 miles of new or advanced freeway improvements
- $1+ billion for new or expanded freeways
- $1+ billion of new, voter-approved local funding for transit
- 30+ miles of approved bus rapid transit along five corridors
- 30+ miles of approved regional commuter rail
- 80+ miles of freeway speed limit increases
- 12 miles of new primary Interstate mileage
- 40 international connections through new RDU-Paris transatlantic flight
- 60+ miles of Bus on Shoulder System on regional freeways
- $500 million retained in funding for higher-speed rail
- 3 for 3 in successful local sales tax referenda for enhanced transit