July 9, 2013
The Strategic Transportation Investments bill (H817) was signed into law June 2013 creating a new Strategic Mobility Formula that will better prioritize transportation investments.
A modernized funding formula that appropriately aligns policy and priorities at the statewide, regional, and local levels has long been an RTA priority and is realized with the passage of this historic transportation bill.
The new Strategic Mobility Formula:
- Assigns 40% of all funding statewide, rather than limited and parsed out by region, with projects prioritized entirely by data.
- Assigns the next 30% by seven regions, allocated by population of the region, with projects prioritized primarily by data.
- The remaining 30% is an equal share among 14 divisions, with projects prioritized by both data and local input.
Highlights of the new bill:
- Every proposed toll road and all National Highway System routes eligible for statewide funding
- Every US and NC route is eligible for regional funding, as is regional transit
- Preserves and encourages local control and flexibility
- Incorporates data-driven priorities at all funding levels
- Better public policy that positions the Triangle and North Carolina to move forward
Additionally, the Strategic Mobility Formula grandfathers in the next two years of the TIP so certain projects like the East End/Triangle Connector will still go under construction next year as planned while most other projects will have to compete for funding under the new formula.
The passage of H817 also allows the study of the Interstate-540 southeast extension turnpike—the final piece in the Raleigh “outer loop” beltway—to restart and move forward expeditiously.
The RTA thanks Gov. Pat McCrory, Senate President Pro Tempore Phil Berger, House Speaker Thom Tillis, the entire NC General Assembly, and our transportation partners for their commitment to improving mobility in the Triangle and across the state.