I-40 is the Triangle’s “main street,” directly serving Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, Research Triangle Park, and RDU Airport. It is the region’s most vital linkage for commuting and commerce, as well as travel and tourism, and regional transit service.
RTA has initiated a “Let’s Make I-40 Better” action team to explore lower-cost or innovative options to improve the most congested section of I-40 in our region, the 10-mile stretch between NC 147 (future I-885) and the Wade Avenue split. An initial focus will be placed on the three RTP interchanges areas between NC 147 (I-40 exit 279, future I-885) and I-540 (I-40 exit 283).
See details below for the first team meeting. All RTA members are invited to participate — just contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Let’s Make I-40 Better” Action Team meeting
Friday, March 29, 11a-1p
The Frontier, RTP
- 11a – Welcome and introductions – RTA, RTP
- Overview of purpose – Joe Milazzo II, RTA
- Current and expected I-40 freeway status – Joe Hummer, NCDOT Mobility & Safety
- Ongoing and upcoming projects – David Keilson, NCDOT Division 5; Alex Rickard, CAMPO
- Review of recent suggestions
- 12n – Break for lunch – nearby food trucks
- Discussion of implications and possible next steps
- Potential assignment of teams
- Final thoughts, set next meeting
- 1p – Adjourn