I-885 / The Triangle Connector to I-85 will provide a link among four major transportation routes (I-85, US 70, NC 147, and I-40) and facilitate better traffic flow to and through Durham. Upon completion, and coupled with the 540/Triangle Expressway, the region will enjoy new north-south, stoplight-free mobility in the heart of the Triangle and a true complement to east-west I-40.
Successes of RTA and partners
- Construction of Triangle Connector to I-85 underway in spring 2015
- Right-of-way acquisition began fall 2012
- State loop prioritization process announced summer 2010 with Triangle Connector to I-85 on track for 2014 letting
- Successfully lobbied for Highway Trust Fund eligibility of the Durham Loop Highway Trust Fund projects
- Secured regional support and prioritization in 2010 (Herald-Sun)
NCDOT project page: www.ncdot.gov/projects/eastendconnector