RTA Strategic Goal: Strengthen air service at Raleigh-Durham International Airport
The Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority has completed a series of improvements to elevate the passenger experience, including the award-winning Terminal 2 in 2008 and 2011 serving most air carriers, the modernization of Terminal 1 in 2014 serving Southwest Airlines, and the opening of a General Aviation Terminal in 2003.
RDU is the second-largest airport in North Carolina in terms of passenger traffic, with the largest number of origin-destination traffic in the state. RDU provides service to 48 nonstop destinations via 10 air carriers, with 400+ daily departures. RDU also has daily nonstop transatlantic flights to Paris and London and international service to Toronto.
RDU provides TSA PreCheck from Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 as well as Global Entry and expanded Federal Inspection Services (FIS) area for international arrivals at Terminal 2.
RTA Air Service Priorities
- RTA’s top air service priority is to identify funding solutions to implement the RDU 2040 Master Plan, approved Oct. 2016 following an 18-month Master Plan study. Learn more here.
Leverage ASAP to strengthen RDU’s nonstop transatlantic flights to Paris, London
- RTA launched the Air Service Advancement Project in Dec. 2014 to strengthen nonstop international air service from Raleigh-Durham International Airport to Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and the Americas. The focus on the initiative is to support the use of RDU as an intercontinental gateway via private sector-coordinated marketing support.
Partner with RDU to improve the number of domestic destinations
- RTA supports increased frequency to existing major nonstop business destinations and potential new nonstop destinations including San Diego, Portland, San Jose, Kansas City, and San Juan.
Support improved airport access and the overall travel experience
- RTA supports ongoing improvements to freeway and transit access to RDU, including approved improvements to the existing I-40/Aviation Parkway interchange and the proposed US 70/Brier Creek Parkway interchange, along with potential Express Lanes on I-40 and I-540 and expansion of the existing Bus On Shoulder System.
- RTA supports ParkRDU enhancements and potential future payment integration with NC Quick Pass from the NC Turnpike Authority and other regional parking operations.
Recent successes of RTA and partners
- RDU adds 10th airline with Virgin American expansion in 2017
- New nonstop flights to Austin and New Orleans launch in 2017
- RDU sets all-time passenger record in 2016 with 11 million passengers
- Delta Air Lines announces new nonstop service from RDU to Paris in 2015
- RTA initiated Research Triangle Area Air Service Advancement Project with RDU Airport in 2014 to strengthen and advance international flight offerings
- Highest domestic priority for RTA, nonstop to San Francisco, launched in 2012; RDU now has multiple nonstop flights to the west coast
- Successfully requested Global Entry self-service kiosks for international arrivals, implemented in 2012
- Commemorated Southwest Airlines’ 10th anniversary at RDU in 2009
- Helped RDU welcome ExpressJet, United Airlines, and Midwest Connect to RDU in 2007
- Welcomed JetBlue to RDU in 2006
See recent news coverage here
RDU Airport website: www.rdu.com