The State of Mobility 2016: RTA 15th Annual Meeting
RTA’s 15th annual meeting was held Dec. 15, 2016. Executive keynote speakers highlighted transportation innovations and technology including:
- Jack Klecha, Sr. Manager, Secure Internet of Things (IOT), Cisco Security and Trust Organization
Cisco is a leader in advancing connected transportation through new security and analytics technologies for a variety of mobility applications
- Matthew Lesh, Chief Commercial Officer, Meridian Autonomous Systems; formerly Director of Mobility Systems, Local Motors
Meridian Autonomous provides much of the “drive” for Olli, the world’s first cognitive, electric, self-driving vehicle, developed by Local Motors and powered by IBM’s Watson technology
- Fran O’Sullivan, General Manager, Global Operations, IBM Global Business Services, and IBM senior state executive for North Carolina
IBM is a leader in improving the mobility experience through cognitive computing and advancing vehicle technology
RTA executive director Joe Milazzo also presented the annual State of Mobility report and transportation priorities for the Triangle for the next year and beyond.
A Lifetime Transportation Champion Award was presented to Harvey Schmitt, president emeritus of the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, for his role in creating the Regional Transportation Alliance and pioneering regional business leadership on transportation.
- Download the presentation
- Press release
- RTA 15th annual report
- News Coverage: WNCN – CBS North Carolina; Triangle Business Journal
- Twitter: #RTA15th @RTATriangle
RTA’s 14th annual meeting was held Dec. 3, 2015, featuring national keynote speaker Gabe Klein, former transportation commissioner of Chicago and Washington, D.C.
Joe Milazzo II presented the annual State of Mobility report and was joined by NCDOT Deputy Secretary of Communications Mike Charbonneau on the collaborative efforts between RTA and NCDOT on key regional priorities,
Wake County Commissioner Matt Calabria and Kane Realty CEO John Kane also provided a preview of the Recommended Wake Transit Plan.
The 2015 Transportation Champion awards were presented to Tom Looney, formerly with Lenovo and 2012-14 RTA transit chair, for his leadership on accelerating bus rapid transit in our market, and the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority for their leadership and community partnership to secure a new nonstop transatlantic flight to Paris.
- Download the final presentation deck
- Read the event recap
- See the Q&A on transit in the Triangle by keynote Gabe Klein
The State of Mobility 2014: RTA 13th Annual Meeting, presented by Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority
The 2014 event featured keynote speaker Ryan Popple, President and CEO of Proterra, Inc. and former Tesla Motors executive.
Ryan Popple, who leads South Carolina-based Proterra, a top designer and manufacturer of zero-emission, battery-electric transit vehicles, discussed new perspectives on how transit innovations can help broaden the appeal of public transportation.
RTA leaders also announced the Air Service Advancement Project (ASAP), the regional business community’s approach to advance international air service in our market. A new transatlantic flight will generate $25 million in net regional economic spending in the first year alone.
The regional business community also honored RTA 2014 Transportation Champion retiring North Carolina Senator Neal Hunt at the event.
- Download final presentation deck here
- Download the 2014 State of Mobility report here
- View the RTA video on bus rapid transit (BRT) options in the Pacific Northwest
- Full event recap and media coverage: blog by RTA chair Ed Paradise
The State of Mobility 2013: RTA 12th Annual Meeting
The event was held December 12, 2013, at the Embassy Suites Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle in Cary where the regional business community honored North Carolina leaders at RTA’s 12th Annual Meeting, The State of Mobility, featuring remarks by Governor Pat McCrory and Senate President Pro Tempore Phil Berger.
Governor McCrory and NCDOT Secretary Tony Tata also announced at the event designation of the US 64 east freeway corridor between Raleigh and I-95 at Rocky Mount as I-495 / Future I-495–an RTA priority for nearly ten years.
More than 300 business, elected, and transportation leaders attended the meeting to celebrate the regional mobility accomplishments of the year, gain insights into how the Triangle compares to other competitive markets, and highlight the transportation priorities for 2014.
Download the State of Mobility 2013 presentation
RTA 2013 Transportation Champions–for the bipartisan passage of the Strategic Transportation Investments formula:
- NC Governor Pat McCrory
- NC Senate President Pro Tempore Phil Berger
- NC House Speaker Thom Tillis, award accepted by Rep. Bill Brawley
- NC Secretary of Transportation Tony Tata
The State of Mobility 2012:
RTA 11th Annual Meeting
Presented by Adopt A Highway Litter Removal Service of America
The event was held December 6, 2012, at the Embassy Suites Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle in Cary and honored a series of transportation champion awards including ‘Project of the Year,’ ‘Initiative of the Year,’ and ‘Partnership of the Year.’
Download The State of Mobility 2012 presentation
RTA 2012 Transportation Champions:
- Project of the Year: Triangle Expressway
- Initiative of the Year: Bus on Shoulder System (BOSS)
- Partnership of the Year: Orange and Durham Counties for a successful transit referenda in both counties
The State of Mobility 2011:
RTA 10th Annual Meeting
Presented by Adopt A Highway Litter Removal Service of America
The event was held November 16, 2011, at the Embassy Suites Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle in Cary. RTA recognized long-term investors and transportation champions for their tireless efforts to advance our region over the past decade:
Download The State of Mobility 2011 presentation
RTA 2011 Transportation Champions:
- John Brantley, Director, Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
- Bill Bell, Mayor, City of Durham
- Charles Meeker, Mayor, City of Raleigh
The State of Mobility 2010:
RTA 9th Annual Meeting
Presented by VisionPoint Marketing, The Greater Durham Chamber of Commerce, MMI Public Relations, and Bank of America
The event was held November 17, 2010, at the Embassy Suites in Cary, and featured an interactive discussion on the potential for enhanced buses, circulators, and rail transit in our market.
- The State of Mobility 2010 presentation by the Regional Transportation Alliance
- Interactive transit discussion slides
- Complete slide deck
The State of Mobility 2009:
RTA 8th Annual Meeting
The event was held December 9, 2009, at Brier Creek Country Club in west Raleigh.